Help Getting Started

Calimaw

Hey,

I purchased LW back in 2009, and have not upgraded to 2.3.

I've followed the "Setting up BlitzMax" instructions, and have created a new project folder in MyDocuments. The project folder contains my <sample>.bmx file with OpenAL32.dll, newton.dll, and a folder called "Shaders" which is the shaders.pak content unpacked directly into that folder.

The code is a direct copy of one of the tutorials examples, as follows:

Framework Leadwerks.Engine
RegisterAbstractPath AppDir
Graphics 1024,768
CreateWorld
CreateCamera
While Not KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE)
RenderWorld
DrawText "Hello World!",0,0
Flip
Wend
End

...the problem I'm having is that I run into an error, as shown:

templ.png

...any idea what I did wrong?

Yea, I did do that.

I'm new to BlitzMax as well, so perhaps build options are not correct, or something along those lines?

In addition, my system uses another partition for my Users folder, which My Documents is in.

But I made a quick test to check if it resolves AppDir to the correct location and drive, which it does.

brl.mod gman.mod koriolis.mod leadwerks.mod maxgui.mod pub.mod are inside of D:\Program Files\BlitzMaxDemo\mod.

LE work inside the demo version of Bmax?

Not as far as I know because it won't import the modules I thought :unsure:

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

If some one could download the trial and test for me I'd appreciate it.

The problem is I'm new to BM, and I really wanted to just try it out before a commitment.

I could use CPP as soon as I could use BM, but my focus is more towards game development than anything else (hence using a game developing specific language).

Sorry for my short-comings as well, I'm a sound designer by trade, not a programmer :unsure:

(but some times youre better off doing it yourself, they say)

Give me a heads up if you find anything else out, appreciate the responses thus far.

The engine requires a relatively recent version of BlitzMax (I think 1.32+?). Does the BlitzMax demo have a version? I would not be surprised if it was older, or does not completely support custom modules. Maybe the brl.map module is missing from the demo.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The version is 1.37, there is a brl.mod folder in the BlitzMaxDemo\mod folder, which has a brl.mod\map.mod folder, which contains 8 files, debug/release versions, each of which is either mt or not.

I have also followed the PDF tutorial for BlitzMax provided by my version of the SDK to the letter, and used its' example, with the same error occuring. I have tried combinations of build modes as well.

Just to make sure I also set the project path manually instead of using AppDir, also with no luck.

Would any one require specific information I can give you to better see a possible problem?

Alright, I'll give it a shot there. You'd think they'd tell you straight up.

" Features: BlitzMax compiler, core BlitzMax modules, Max2D graphics module, IDE, debugger, sample code and documentation. Source code for all modules included. "

" ... core BlitzMax modules,... ", almost comes off as an exclusive statement doesn't it!

That's odd, I thought perhaps you did, and people were just assuming I had done so. If, in my case, I had to do that, then I suspect I'd have to do that for many things to utilize them. Will test this theory.

I appreciate the attention given to my problem, thanks a bunch :)