Bone Question

gamecreator

Hey guys,

I was attaching a sword to my character's hand bone by code and I noticed that the sword attaches to the wrist. This kind of makes sense because that's where the hand bone starts (where the root is). It's also not a huge problem because I can kind of adjust the position by code, but it's trial and error and I'd rather do it right. So my question is: how do I put the sword right in the middle of the fist?

My thought is to create an extra bone or some sort of dummy object. I'm using Max but maybe it's the same in Blender and other modeling programs. Right now I have a biped skinned to the model and I'd rather not mess with that but I suppose I can add an extra bone and attach it to the hand. Ideally I'd just put a dummy in the hand and attach it but I don't think Leadwerks supports that.

I had a similar problem once and used a pivot parented to the wrist...this allows you to offset the pivot from the wrist and attach the sword to the pivot....may not be the correct way, but it allows for precise rotation of the sword....the pivot will work similar to the Dummy object you mentioned, but is implemented in code....Adding a bone to the hand is also good....hope this helps

• Upvote 2