User guide

Josh

The third and final part of our documentation is the user guide. The pages are like tutorials, but there is a hierarchical organization of pages. I tried using frames to make a treeview table of contents on the left side, but there is no way to do this without expanding across the entire page, and I want to fit it into the site template.

I am thinking the front page will be a hierarchical series of links on different topics. Clicking on a link takes you to that page. At the top of the page is a breadcrumbs series of links like the command reference has now, where you can navigate to every parent category. At the bottom of the page are "back" and "next" links" to go to the next page in the hierarchy.

Do you have any other suggestions? What categories and information do you want to see included?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Most important are graphical icons for navigation. Tree view's can't do that so they are useless. However, you can simulate a tree view with ordinary pages too. Breadcrumbs are like the summary of a tree branch, so they are always good to have on top.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

There shouldn't be tons of different icons, since that also lowers readability (well, or recognizability in the case of graphical icons). A set of standard icons will be the best. The idea of fast visual recognition is a bit like the entity commands: you have a few entity commands, but you can apply them on any entity and do everything with a few standard commands.

The public icon signs you see on airports and other public places share the same idea: there's a standardized set of icons, which are composed of standard symbols and sub-icons, which everyone can recognize very fast without speaking any language.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Personally I would like to see some more detailed instruction in what shaders are available and how to use them. I think that many people do not know that there are a lot of good shaders in the shaders.pak that are not being used.

If you want an idea of an index, have a look at index of the LUG.