applying .mat materials to my gmf files.

fumanshoo

this is probably a really noob question, but i was trying to apply a texture, and i got it to show up on the material viewer, but i dont know how to apply it to my mesh. is this done in the leadwerks editor or in the model viewer or maybe i'm totally wrong about the whole thing. and also normal maps. i can't get normal maps to look anything like normal maps... if that makes any sense lol.

It can be applied as a material via code, but typically a model should already have a texture/material assigned to it from your modeling app. When converted to gmf, you can open the file up with the Modelviewer and look at the Surface Material value. If it says <none> then it usually means you didnt export correctly from your modeling app. If it says something in there (typically the name of your texture), then you have to create a material file of the same name. This material file will tell LE what textures and shader to use for the model.

Look at the models that come with the SDK for examples and download/read the User's Guide.

• Upvote 1

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

well i did all of this and i'm still not getting anything. i made the mesh in Blender and then exported it as an obj, and when i do that, it has both an obj and an mtl file ( the mtl containing the textures ) i convert the obj to gmf and then convert the mtl to dds and then the dds to mat. that way, i have a gmf file AND a mat file. so i assume they should both come up in the model viewer, but they don't. am i doing something wrong?

yes youre doing something wrong. the dds is a texture. the mat file is just a text file. so its impossible to convert the mtl to dds and the dds to a mat.

Post your gmf model with the dds texture and mat file in the PM you sent.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel