Release Notes

Josh

• Added per-mesh "Update Normals" in model editor right-click popup menu.
  • Fixed some bugs.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Shadow maps have been switched back to the bindless texture approach, instead of using array textures.
  • Shader lighting code has been modified and projects must be updated to get the new shaders.
  • Light::SetShadowmapSize() method is added.
  • Probably improved compatibility with some cards.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Added SelectDevice.cpp to C++ project template. You should add this file to your VS project to ensure your game uses a Discrete card on machines with switchable graphics.

• Fixed problem with dragging objects from scene browser tree into flowgraph panel.

Added initial implementation of decals, in the editor only. No special shaders are needed for decal materials, just assign any PBR material to the decal in the entity properties.

I am not sure how we should control what decals appear on what entities.

• Upvote 1

• Added Entity::Set/GetDecalLayers, but they don't do anything yet.
  • Decals added in engine lib and Lua exes.
  • GetMemoryUsage() is now accurate in debug builds.

• Decals now use a create and edit mode that acts more like brushes, which seems to work well for these objects.
  • Like 2

• Entities now include extended information in their data stored on the GPU for features that are to be implemented very soon. This includes a decal layer value for control of what surfaces decals appear on, render layers value stored on the GPU in anticipation of GPU culling, entity emission color (to be implemented soon), and per-entity texture mapping features.
  • Project sync is required to get the latest shaders.
  • Custom shaders that use the ExtractInfo() type commands will work with no changes, although in the future I want to move towards the version of the command that uses the EntityInfo structure defined in Shaders/Base/EntityInfo.glsl.

Decal layer filtering now implemented in the editor, in the Appearance properties as a bitwise flag. A shader update is required to get extra logic code for handling this.

Added per-entity emission color. Only works if an emission texture is present in the material, otherwise it is ignored.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.fa13ef4176380f6a7d58bcdf60b2f26d.jpg

Added per-entity texture offset and scale, for all meshes or for decals.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.2a5cbfda1a8e7946c7d1e1b49be215aa.jpg

These features are currently only available in the editor.

• Like 4

Added texture auto-scrolling for material, currently only in editor. You can use this for conveyer belts, water, or other effects.

• Like 4

Implemented more aggressive compression layout of entity data and reverted to two-byte entity indices, but multiplied by two so the engine still supports 65000 objects. Colors are now packed into the primary 4x4 matrix which will eliminate an extra shader storage buffer read unless emission color or texture mapping settings are in use, which is rare. More extensive testing was done on mesh layers, mesh layers with imposters, and other shader combos.

• Like 3

• Added tool to flip normal maps on the U/V axis in the texture editor.
  • Finished the decal shader code. It now supports color, normal, metallic-roughness, and emission textures. Normal blending should be working correctly now.

image.thumb.jpeg.27a0ece64ac83f32e8e4771a9431e632.jpeg

• Like 3

• Initial implementation of particle emitters is added.
  • Added new setting in material editor for non-directional lighting.
  • Changing the particle count currently does not work in editor.
  • Particles currently do not have collision or mass.
  • Like 1

Full rebuild uploaded. For some reason the release library wasn't working, maybe something got copied or compiled wrong, but it seems fine now.

• Like 1

Full rebuild with libzip fix incorporated in. May be working correctly now, maybe...

• Thanks 1

World updating only occurs when rendering now, will make the editor responsiveness more smooth.

• Like 1

• Added particle count, emission frequency, and emission quantity settings to particle emitters. Particle count can only be changed in the editor, until GPU culling is implemented.
  • Model animation will now correctly take into account the speed value set in model files.
  • Model editor animation speed property now uses float values so you can slow down an animation.
  • Like 2

• Added "velocity" particle view mode, good for sparks and ricochets.
  • Added adjustable width and height for particles.

Libzip is source is now compiled into engine instead of using an external static lib. Only the editor is updated at this time.