SetGamma(1.0) not reverting brightness to old look

Dreikblack

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

Last steam beta.

Lightning now is broken in my project with any values of gamma in shader or game code until they are both 1.0

Default:

image.thumb.png.13b75f91e4f4e269f165b8dd535db3ae.png

Camera->SetGamma(1.0f);

image.thumb.png.4047864f6e795b1538a460fbaaf2c205.png

Only in shader gamma 1.0:

image.thumb.png.fbce2256fbe756717b41a199be80e782.png

How should be and looks like gamma 1.0 in shader AND game code

image.thumb.png.b7f4d05a44f506c9ac3efd5cc2a8f9bf.png

Camera:SetGamma controls the final linear to sRGB color conversion, and is a setting meant for adjusting a game's brightness levels for the monitor. It does not affect the sRGB to linear color conversion, which can be changed by modifying the GAMMA value in Shaders/Khronos/tonemapping.glsl.

Every screenshot above looks as I would expect.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• Solution

Except for the recent activity, that is a shader file that never changes. You could make the file read-only if you want to protect it.

There is no max gamma value. The default is 2.2, which is the correct value to convert linear to sRGB. 

The first render looks correct, but keep in mind:

• Quake is a dark game and those textures were designed before sRGB was in use in games.
  • You have a directional light plus PBR diffuse and specular lighting brightening the scene.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

11 hours ago, Josh said:

You have a directional light plus PBR diffuse and specular lighting brightening the scene.

Without diffuse and specular maps still looks wrong. Anyway even if i fix shader and gamma for all cameras manually the Editor still needs a gamma settings then to fix it there.

Also gamma settings would be nice for Camera in the Editor entity properties to avoid creating extra component and applying it every time

• Like 1