Leadwerks on Linux (Kubunto)

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

I just purchased Leadwerks on sale and found in the community that it doesn't work anymore on Linux because of the changes they made on the system, since I had purchased it back 2019 but asked a refund due to incompatibility with old setup (that was an integrated graphs) I don't think they will accept a refund request. Im wondering if it's possible to have a key for the old 2.x version. I have the old trials backups, but never had a chance to buy the full because I didn't had a cred card, so I could use with a WindowsXP VM since I don't own Windows 10 to run the current version.

• Solution

Linux is not listed in the supported platforms on the Leadwerks Steam store page, for this reason, although it can still be installed and run on Ubuntu 16.04.

Steam refunds are pretty easy to obtain if you request before playing a game for two hours, I think.

I don't have any copies of Leadwerks 2 easily available. I think it only worked with a programming language called BlitzMax, and it only ran on Windows.

In the future, Linux support in our software will be easier and better quality because I am now relying on the absolute minimum amount of Linux libraries, and we use our own GUI based on low-level OS drawing commands.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Posted (edited)

Thanks.

Looks like I can't ask for refund, in the product options it's listing details from the 2019 purchase refund.

I'll try to install on Ubuntu.

Edited by A.Peter
Forgot to tell about the refund.

I use Ubuntu 22.04 and I'm able to run Leadwerks 4.6 with Proton version 7.0-6 (newer versions didn't work), and it works great.

Except for two things:

1. Script Editor: No autocomplete. I use VSCodium with the Leadwerks Add-on (can be found on the VS Code marketplace).

2. Running the game from the editor (both normal and debug modes) works only once, the second time, it will crash the whole editor. Instead, I run it from the terminal with Wine (wine "ProjectName".exe). If you want to run the game natively on Linux, publish the game as standalone first, then make the file "ProjectName" executable and run the game the same as any sh script. If you run the game as an sh script from the developing folder, you may experience texture and collider issues.

• Thanks 2