Far Cry 3 Deffered Radiance Transfer

YouGroove

For curious people smile.png

Lightmaps was too much memory and production problem, full dynamic not good for Performance and quality. So the solution was Deffered Radiance Transfer.

http://fileadmin.cs.lth.se/cs/Education/EDAN35/lectures/L10b-Nikolay_DRTV.pdf

Yep AAA engine uses crazy graphic techniques when it comes to optimisation laugh.png

Stop toying and make games

I admit to not knowing enough about this but it seems like LE2 had great performance and ok lighting quality. I kind of wish we had the same thing but with the quality improved (especially the shadows), as today's hardware could handle it. But I don't know the pros and cons...

Though it seems maybe one day Josh could go in and do some serious optimization on lighting/shadows and also physics/navigation.

The two games i testefd in LE2 was a small FPS demo (furious Franck) or some small platforming game made by Ali. These two were TINY games, and they was too much GPU eating, too low on FPS on a laptop running AAA games. The the bloom on Ali platforming game that was drop down to 10 FPS and less,deactivating it , all went smoother.

Real time shadows/lights , and full screen effect has a big cost if there is no optimisation in the shader and in how they are displayed in the scene.

LE3 is taking the same road as LE2 : brute Graphics computing and no optimization and alternative cheaper techniques doing as good.

The only solution is :

- beware of shaders in the scene

- less lights

- less shadows

- optimize yourself

- smaller games and scenes (as it is no LOD/light/shadows management in long range view)

------------------

Lightmapping of 3.0 was just awesome as it handled normal maps also, perhaps LE3 could find some alternative new technique for models ? for some future version ?

I'm aware Josh is not a team of 5 or 10 crazy math in game lightening coders, but some cheaper techniques already exists like anti aliasing techniques almost as good as actual one, and coding some Lights distance management , LOD, shadow resolution, mip mapping adjustement option etc ... this is not so incredible to code.

No need to debate more on LE3 and optimisation, this is just lacking and we have to find solution by ourselves.

I'm pretty happy with all LE3 features, so i just try to make game smaller and put my own light/shadow management and beware of shader complexity choosen also.

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games