Mini game of the month

YouGroove

Just asking if anyone would like this idea ? Some friendly free competition for the fun.

I mean people could use existing code projects :

- FPS peoject from LE3

- Rick's Bombkiller TPS project

- Monkeyball project

The game could be some room with crawlers and FPS gameplay with added new mechanics for example The idea would be to make small level with a some goal or objective to reach.

Would it be some people interested or find idea interesting ?

Stop toying and make games

So each month people submit a mini game for that months voting and the results of the vote determine the mini game for that month? Then I assume once submitted (win or lose) that same game can't be submitted again for prior months?

I like the idea. Maybe a constant monthly, no pressure no (real) reward, would be interesting.

The idea of a small level with a goal or objective is vague enough to appeal to most people, I think. I'd be tempted to participate once the 3.1 Steam version is released to get up to speed with it, even if I don't submit anything. I don't know if I'd suggest a recurring contest due to the lack of numbers/particpation.

I don't know if I'd suggest a recurring contest due to the lack of numbers/particpation.

I actually like the recurring approach because it becomes less of an event and just a normal monthly thing that happens in the community putting less pressure on people. If they miss one, then they can try again next month. No big deal. I would like the consistency of a monthly game. There will be months where nobody does anything, but no biggie.

@YouGroove, if you like I can lead this up. I don't think it'll take much time to set things up. We can hash out the recurring rules here and it'll basically be a copy/paste each month of those in a post. Then at the end of the month it's making a poll and let people vote. Then declare a winner.

I like the idea. Maybe a constant monthly, no pressure no (real) reward, would be interesting.

Yes ,no pressure, no reward.

Any graphic style , from simple colors, to realistic or artistic shaders why not.

Any gameplay style : simple FPS shooter, to simple stealth game, arcade paltforming on cubes , any gameplay.

Main rule : make it small

The idea of a small level with a goal or objective is vague enough to appeal to most people, I think.

The objective can be anything :

FPS : kill all ennemies, reach exit , collect all gems etc ...

Arcade physic ball : reah end level, collect all coins

etc ...

I'd be tempted to participate once the 3.1 Steam version is released to get up to speed with it, even if I don't submit anything. I don't know if I'd suggest a recurring contest due to the lack of numbers/particpation.

For submitting, as this is "cool" , "friendly", "open" contest, no pressure, you could use actual FPS template and ennemies and submit some small level with some 3 or 4 rooms , with your own textures and some special gameplay like some traps, you don't need outstanding effort to submit something laugh.png ( no pressure or super graphics needed mainly gameplay )

For recurring contest we'll see , we can just make new thread and even with one or two participant per month it will be ok.

@YouGroove, if you like I can lead this up. I don't think it'll take much time to set things up. We can hash out the recurring rules here and it'll basically be a copy/paste each month of those in a post. Then at the end of the month it's making a poll and let people vote. Then declare a winner.

I can drive such friendly competition.

As Linux/Windows you should post the main project files needed to people ot run game on their system.

The only bottlenecks could be.

- game size , as LE3 seems to publish with too much stuff

I can drive such friendly competition.

Cool!

Yeah, I think the question is, do you release the LE project or the published LE exe. We have no way to protect the assets today it seems and most of my assets are purchased. However, this limits the executable to that platform, where the LE project could be imported by any platform (I would think) and could be ran from LE, but then you are giving all source files, which if you purchase models/sounds/etc you can't do.

I'm not a Linux guy (and just not all that interested in it at this time), so if someone posts a Linux game I won't be trying it so I can't vote on it.

We have no way to protect the assets today it seems and most of my assets are purchased. However, this limits the executable to that platform, where the LE project could be imported by any platform (I would think) and could be ran from LE, but then you are giving all source files, which if you purchase models/sounds/etc you can't do.

This mini competition is fun only, you will share your textures and models, scripts.

We don't ask people to use commercial models and textures, you can use plain color materials only or just use free to use textures from internet or models also free to use for any purpose.The goal is not use top notch 3D art , or make some code that you would not want to share.

It's mini game projects that will be downloaded and shared by anyone could it be code, textures,models,shaders.

It is some LE3 rule that would not allow that ? in that case we wil have to figure how to do ?

As all shared , no protection problems or issues, if you don't want to share something than this friendly competition is not appropriate for you.

For Linux/Windows, never mind, let's people make some games, even people not be able to try a game because not their system, they could vote, it's fun competition, not serious, what matters is participating and not winning smile.png

Some benefit also could be sharing some scripts or any purpose, or some simple textures/models some non 3D artists could re use.